Preparing lyric singers for auditions
Vocal technique and repertoire
Repertoire coaching ( piano )
Crucial points for an audition
- A healthy instrument
- A good vocal technique
- A repertoire which is suitable for the instrument and for the physique of the singer
- A repertoire which is well-prepared technically and musically
- A perfect scenic presentation
- A well-written curriculum vitae
Structure of the training
- Candidates evaluation at the start fictive audition with a piano and a jury 15 min per participant
- A list of 5 operatic arias
- The first operatic aria is chosen by the snger and then two arias are chosen by the jury form the list.
- (Use of video as a means for feedback)
Speech Pathologist intervention
- Vocal instrument functioning and it's maintenance
Artistic agent intervention
- How an artistic agent makes an evaluation of a lyric artist during an audition ?
- How does he decide to work with a lyric artist ?
- What means will he use when working with the artist ?
Work with the singing teacher and the artistic agent
- Debriefing of the audition in the presence of the artistic agent
- Was the repertoire adapted ? is it coherent ?
- Was the performance acceptable for an artistic agent ?
- Was the curriculum vitae acceptable ?
- Are the photos representative of the artist ?
- Individual work on CV, letter of motivation ...
- Building an auditioning strategy for each participant : for who is the audition ? when does it take place?
- Use of videos of the auditions to debrief with each candidate.
Working with the vocal technique teacher
The teacher of vocal technique will cover the following points :
- Creating a posture assessment
- Assessing the lingual praxies and the temporo-mandibular articulation in the practice of singing
- Assessment and normalisation of the muscular chaines
- Assessment and normalisation of the ventilation mechanism
- Use of a video as a feedback tool for learning or correcting posture during singing
Working with the piano accompanist
- Establishment of an audition repertoire
Working on the repertoire with the teacher of vocal technique and the piano accompanist
- The repertoire of the audition will be defined with vocal coach and piano accompanist
- The indications proposed by the artistic agent will be taken into account during these sessions.
- The audition repertoire will be technically and musically enriched
Working with the Psychologist
- Personal presentation
- Psychological approach to the audition ( psychological coaching )
- Stress management and management of fear
- Body work
- Work on text and meaning
- Constructing the worked repertoire
- Personal presentation
Final Evaluation of candidates
- Fictive audition with a piano and a jury (the artistic agent will be present )
- This audition will give the opportunity to assess the different improvements that the candidates made during the three weeks of training.